WLTP will introduce much more realistic testing conditions. These include:
- More realistic driving behaviour;
- A greater range of driving situations (urban, suburban, main road, motorway);
- Longer test distances;
- More realistic ambient temperatures, closer to the European average;
- Higher average and maximum speeds;
- Higher average and maximum drive power;
- More dynamic and representative accelerations and decelerations;
- Shorter stops;
- Optional equipment: CO2 values and fuel consumption are provided for individual vehicles as built;
- Stricter car set-up and measurement conditions;
- Enables best and worst-case values on consumer information, reflecting the options available for similar car models.
Because of all these improvements, WLTP will provide a much more accurate basis for calculating a car’s fuel consumption and emissions.
This will ensure that lab measurements better reflect the on-road performance of a car.